Business Services Educational Services Technology Integration Services Human Resources Special Services Student Support Services California Common Core Superintendent
Certificated Classified Substitute
List of District Schools
School Libraries Online Catalog Reliable Resources Research Resources Information Literacy Recommended Readings Public Libraries
Alumni College Corner Community Partnership Portal Restorative Practices
Administrators Families Staff Students
Board Members Board Meeting Dates, Agendas & Minutes Board Policies Board Resolutions Board Office Hours

English Learner Program

Early-bilingualism Support.jpg

Guidelines for Submitting a Request for Interpretation Services

Please follow indications by reading: How to Complete and Send Electronic Request Form

To obtain interpretation services for district-wide meetings and events submit your request at least 1-2 weeks prior to the meeting  date.  Attach to your request any supporting documentation relevant to the meeting or event such as agendas and presentation documents.

  • For school site meetings or events (PTA/ELAC/SITE WORKSHOPS), administrators are encouraged to continue current practice. If an interpreter cannot be identified, please contact: Laura Low for further assistance.
  • Make sure your interpretation request communicates the exact meeting location, including room number/name, expected number of people in need of interpretation services, and if the use of interpretation equipment is required.
  • Confirm parent attendance within one business day in advance and, if they cannot attend, immediately notify the Translation Unit at 510-317-4740 to cancel service.  On-site cancellation is strongly discouraged.

Interpretation for Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings. 

Depending on the complexity of an IEP, language needs may be covered by one of our trained bilingual staff members or you may request a District Interpreter (Spanish or Chinese). Just as these meetings are planned ahead, please schedule the need for an interpreter as soon possible.



What kinds of documents must be translated by the Language Translator/Interpreter Specialist?

The Language Translator/Interpreter must translate any document that is to be used in an official manner. This includes, but is not limited to, high stakes documents, documents that assure equal access to all programs and opportunities, documents with legal implications, and documents that require parent signatures.

Can the Bilingual Instructional Assistants and/or Volunteers translate these documents?

No, unless proper documentation of qualified certification in translation/interpretation is on file at the District.

What kinds of translation/interpretation services can Bilingual Instructional Assistants provide?

Bilingual Instructional Assistants can provide assistance with basic home-school communications and school site meetings as needed.  or fax 510-276-2127 please call 510-317-4740 to confirm it has been received.

Please, understand that the role of the interpreter is to communicate from source language to target language accurately and completely.

Interpreters are not facilitators or advocates.



Translation – Any written form of communication

Interpretation – Any oral form of communication