SLZUSD Re-Entry Intervention Program
Purpose: The San Lorenzo Unified School District Re-Entry Intervention Program is designed to re-engage, reconnect, and prepare the following secondary populations for campus and academic success:
- Students returning from expulsion
- Students returning from Juvenile Hall/Camp
- Students enrolled in the District SARB program
- Students with 10 or more days of suspension who appear on track for expulsion
- Any students seeking to deepen his or her knowledge of self for the purpose of developing critical consciousness.
In part and traditionally the aforementioned populations struggle academically and behaviorally upon re-entry because of the sudden shift within educational and campus dynamics. The purpose of this program is to reduce the predictability that such students will repeat with similar problematic behaviors and patterns.
Mission: The Mission of the San Lorenzo Unified School District Re-Entry Intervention Program is to provide a solid academic, cultural, and psychological foundation, and method of access for every student to retrieve as they re-enter public education or strive to improve in general.
Goal(s): The goal of the San Lorenzo Unified School District Re-Entry Intervention Program is to reduce suspensions, expulsions, and levels of truancy through the provision of a 2-day (4- hour) program, consisting of highly relevant empowerment-based workshops, lectures, dialogs, and academic training sessions to all applicable students.
Location/Time Frame: The location of the program and sessions will be the San Lorenzo Unified School District boardroom. Each session will be two hours in duration. The first session takes place before expelled students return for the Fall and the second session will occur before the start of the Spring semester. SARB participants and students with 10 or more days of suspension on the secondary level will need to be identified for participation in the session before the beginning of the Spring or Fall semesters. Students re-entering the district from Juvenile Hall or Camp will be identified by the Director of Student Support Services and enrolled in the program closest to their date of re-entry.
Process Topical Sequence: All expelledstudents will be required to complete the San Lorenzo Unified School District Re-Entry Intervention Program as part of their rehabilitation plan as well as SARB participants. Secondary students with 10 or more days of suspension will be strongly encouraged to attend both 2-day sessions. The topical sequence will cover the concepts listed below:
- Introduction Generative Terminology Exploration
- Stages of Life Exercise Applications
- The Role of Critical Consciousness Your Life (Reading the World)
- Personal Mastery: Internal Systems Navigation
- From Theory to Praxis (Building Personal Levels of Consistency Sustainability)
- Maafa Identification Plan
- Axiology In Action: Value Identification Breaking Cycles
- Academic Success Classroom-Based Survival Skill Building
- Closure Empowerment