Continuum of Services and Least Restrictive Environment
CONTINUUM OF SERVICES
The San Lorenzo Unified School District provides a continuum of services for students with disabilities found eligible to receive special education services.
Placement in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) is set along this continuum:
- General Education Classroom
- Resource Specialist Program: the student receives special education services 50% or less of the school day
- Special Day Class (SDC) in the District: the student receives special education services 51% or more of the school day
- Special Day Class (SDC) outside the District
- SELPA Regional or Alameda County class
- State approved nonpublic school (NPS)
- All appropriate public school programs in the SELPA and/or County will be explored prior to consideration of placement in an NPS
THE LEAST RESTRICTIVE ENVIRONMENT (LRE)
The law requires that a student be placed in the least restrictive environment possible to effectively address his/her needs. The intent is to have the student with special needs as much a part of the regular school program at his/her home school as possible, while giving consideration to the needs of exceptional and typically developing children participating in the program.