What is BrainPop?
BrainPOP offers content for almost 900 topics across the curriculum, including core subjects PLUS the arts, health, and technology. The BrainPOP platform encourages higher-order thinking, improves cognitive and literacy skills, and encourages students to think critically and creatively. This two-minute video provides a glimpse of BrianPOP in action, for both teachers and students.
Using the Tool in Canvas
Teachers can use the tool in different ways in Canvas. It can be embedded in an Assignment or in a Module within the Canvas course.
- To embed in an Assignment, click Add Assignment. Add a title and instructions to the body of the assignment.
- Scroll down to submission type and select External Tool. Then click Find, and select the BrainPOP tool.
- After adding the Assignment title and desired detail, click Save.
- If you are accessing the BrainPOP tool, the topic selector for BrainPOP will appear. (Alternatively, if your administrator has configured the tool to launch to the homepage, you will see the BrainPOP homepage.)
Choose a topic by searching with keywords, or browsing the subject areas.
- After selecting your topic, you can publish your assignment. When the assignment is accessed, the teacher or student will be launched and logged into the selected topic page.
Rich Text Editor and Course Navigation Link
The Canvas app also includes a Rich Text Editor and/or course navigation link to our Canvas LTI integration.
You can use the Rich Text Editor to select and embed BrainPOP topic LTI links directly into your Canvas assignments, rather than selecting the external tool submission type below the editor.
There is also a link along the left hand side, which will provide single sign-on to the BrainPOP homepage.
- Click the Rich Text Editor to bring up a modal with our topic selector.
- Select a topic to embed a link in your assignment.
- After publishing, the link will provide SSO directly to the selected topic.
Find available technology training with the Technology Professional Development team. Click here to see recent and upcoming PD’s