Safe Haven Schools
Assembly Bill (AB) 699 (2017) requires all California public schools to provide protections for students, regardless of immigration status, and extend specific support to immigrant students and their families. AB 699 requires that schools adopt supportive practices in response to heightened immigration enforcement, including updated staff training, curriculum development, and the following:
- Implement measures to prevent students from being discriminated against or bullied based on their immigration status.
- Ensure schools are teaching students about the harm of bullying students based on immigration status.
- Refrain from the unnecessary collection of immigration status information from students or families.
- Report police enforcement of immigration laws to school boards.
- Ensure schools are following a family’s designated emergency plan.
For more information see the Safe Havens Initiative