If you are in crisis please reach out:
Alameda County Crisis Support Line: 1-800-309-2131
Alameda County Crisis Support Text: Text SAFE to 20121
California Peer-Run Warm Line: 1-855-845-7415
Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
SLzUSD is committed to supporting people in distress, providing prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and utilizing best practices for professionals. San Lorenzo Unified has developed a Suicide Prevention Policy for our staff and believe we can all help to prevent suicide.
Most of us have been touched by the tragedy of suicide. We may have lost someone close to us or been moved by the loss of someone we may have never met. Even if we knew the person was struggling, when a suicide happens, those left behind often experience deep shock. However, many people who find themselves in a suicide crisis can and do recover. Suicide can be prevented. You can help by taking the following actions outlined in the Know the Signs web site (www.suicideispreventable.org).
- Know the Signs: Learn to recognize these warning signs and how to respond to
- Find the Words: If you are concerned about someone, ask them directly if they are thinking about suicide. The “Find the Words” section of the Know the Signs web site suggests ways to start the conversation.
- Reach Out: You are not alone in this. Visit the Reach Out section of the Know the Signs web site to identify where you can find help for your friend or loved one.
Prevention Works. Many people who feel suicidal do not want to die. If they can get through the crisis, treatment works. There are programs and practices that have been specifically developed to support those who are in a suicide crisis.
I am worried about my child, what should I do?
If you believe that your child is thinking about suicide, approach the situation by asking. Asking is the first step in saving a life and can let them know that you are here for them and will listen.
Suicide Prevention Resources
- National Association of School Psychologists - Preventing Youth Suicide
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- The Jed Foundation
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- CDE Suicide Prevention Web page: Youth Suicide Prevention
- CDE Project Ca-Well Youth Mental Health First Aid Training Web page: Project Cal-Well
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
- MY3 Website
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Each Mind Matters
- Walk in Our Shoes
- Suicide Prevention Crisis Line
- Know the Signs
- California Mental Health Services Authority (CalHMSA)
- K-12 Toolkit for Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention