Human Resources » Worker’s Compensation

Worker’s Compensation

OPEN: Risk, Safety & Benefits Manager

Phone: 510-317-4622

Fax: 510-258-0852

Benefits Office: Located across from Payroll at the District Office

While we hope you never have an injury while at work, accidents do happen and we want you to be taken care of immediately!

Report your work injury to Company Nurse.  Calls are staffed 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year by medical professionals and translation services are available if needed!


What To Do If You Are Injured At Work...
  • Notify your Supervisor or Risk and Safety (ext. 4622) immediately
  • Call the Company Nurse at 1-877-518-6702
    • The Company Nurse professional will triage your injury and direct you to seek medical treatment or provide you with self-care instructions
      • Our District is covered under a Managed Health Network (MHN) and our recommended providers under our MHN are:
        • Kaiser-On-The Job 
        • Concentra Medical Center
  • After your call, you can expect to receive an email from Risk and Safety Office within 24 hours which contains the following important information and two (2) forms that you will need to complete and return to the Risk and Safety Office within 3 business days:
  • Your Supervisor will include you in their Supervisor Investigation to determine how your injury happened and ways that the District can prevent the same thing from happening again. 
  • If you are directed to seek medical attention for your injury, ALWAYS send a copy of the work status report after every visit to the Risk and Safety Office.
    • The Risk and Safety Office will communicate with your Supervisor about any restrictions you may have been assigned.
  • If you are given a prescription to fill, at Kaiser they will know that you have been seen for a work-related injury and should not charge you a co-pay.  If you take the prescription to a retail pharmacy, you must tell them this is for a work-related injury and that you are covered by Express Scripts Pharmacy through Keenan.
  • Statistics have proven that a return-to-work program helps employees transition back to work and heal faster from an industrial injury than remaining at home.  San Lorenzo Unified has a pro-active, return-to-work program and can accommodate most work restrictions given by a medical provider in your usual and customary (U&C) position or in a temporary appropriate work (TAW) position while you recover from your injury.
Although this is very rare: If you receive a bill for any work-related injury co-pay, service, or prescription, please submit the receipt or bill to the Risk and Safety Office immediately to ensure proper and timely handling of the bill or repayment for charges.  Note: this most often happens if someone goes to the Emergency Room vs. one of the medical providers noted above.
Pre-Designated Forms for Industrial Injuries
Important Information:
In the event that you sustain an injury or illness related to your employment, you may be treated for such injury or illness by your personal medical doctor (M.D.), doctor osteopathic medicine (D.O.) or medical group if:
  • on the date of your work injury you have health care coverage for the injuries or illnesses that are not work related;
  • the doctor is your regular physician, who shall be either a physician who has limited his or her practice of medicine to general practice, or who is a board-certified or board-eligible internist, pediatrician, obstetrician-gynecologist, or family practitioner, and has previously directed your medical treatment and retains your medical records;
  • your "personal physician" may be a medical group if it is a single corporation or partnership composed of licensed doctors of medicine or osteopathy, which operates and integrated multispecialty medical group providing comprehensive medical services predominantly for non-occupational illnesses and injuries;
  • prior to the injury your doctor agrees to treat you for work injuries or illnesses;
  • prior to the injury you provided your employer the following in writing: (1) notice that you want your personal doctor to treat you for a work-related injury or illness, and (2) your personal doctor's name and business address.
Note: The physician is not required to sign the form, however, if the physician or designated employee of the physician or medical group does not sign, other documentation of the physician's agreement to be predesignated will be required pursuant to Title 8, California Code of Regulations, section 9780.1(a)(2).
Kaiser Permanente patients who wish to designate their personal physicians should be aware that Kaiser Permanente's own policy is to have an injured worker seen in one of their Kaiser-On-The-Job Occupational Medical Centers for industrial injuries or illnesses.